Finding the right time and place for your workout is more challenging than ever when traveling. Ideally we would love staying fit and healthy while away from home. The biggest misconception people have is that eating and not exercising is considered "cheat days" when traveling. This misconception is absolutely not true. It means that you are just telling yourself that it's okay to cheat, when in reality it's quite easy to eat healthy and stay fit by making a few adjustments. If you are thinking of a vacation where you do not have to work out, there are still plenty of ways to stay fit. You just need to keep moving and be active. There are many ways you can stay fit on vacation without going to the gym.
Here are 8 easy ways to stay fit and healthy on vacation:
- Take a walk. Forget the bus or cab and walk! You'll discover so much more as you explore the place.
- Take the stairs. You can take the stairs at your hotel or maybe there is a famous tourist spot with lots of stairs. Set a time limit (20-30 minutes) and walk up and down.
- Go for a hike. Hiking is so much fun that you will even forget that you are exercising. It's also an opportunity to see what nature has to offer and one of the best outdoor experiences.
- Sightseeing Run. A morning run may allow you to see more of the view.
- Do some activities. There are a variety of activities you can do, especially at the beach. Surfing, kayaking, yoga, beach volleyball, swimming - just to name a few. These activities get the endorphins pumping, get your heart pumping and keep you in shape.
- Do a HIIT workout in your hotel room. This is ideal for getting your heart rate up and burning more fat in less time, all in the comfort of your hotel room.
- Eat healthy. Take several healthy snacks with you so you always have a healthy option throughout the day.
- Stay hydrated. Be sure to drink 1-2 glasses of water every hour. This will help you stay hydrated and keep you from eating unnecessarily.
But, the bottomline here is you enjoy your trip, experience new things, and you make the most of your time traveling. Remember, traveling really does help your mental health. Balancing fitness and diet is the key, so don’t stress yourself out!